TOP 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD PARTICIPATE IN RABBI JAFFE'S 10TH GRADE CONFIRMATION CLASS:
10. It will be interesting! Our curriculum seeks to take apart the more juvenile ideas of Judaism (God on a cloud with beard, for example) and then present arguments that better suit your maturity. We will delve into complex issues such as "Do I need to believe in God to be Jewish?" "Why does Judaism need so many rules?" "Do I need to believe that the Torah is historically accurate to be Jewish?" These fundamental questions are integral to creating a sophisticated outlook on Jewish identity and history.
9. Similarly, we will discuss contemporary issues such as abortion, euthanasia, homosexuality, intermarriage and capital punishment from a Jewish perspective.
8. Sessions will include time for socializing and letting off steam from the stressful life of a high school sophomore.
7. Confirmation students will travel with me to Washington, D.C. this year to take part in a weekend of advocacy and social justice with the Religious Action Center. Plus we will have time to enjoy Washington DC together.
6. I bring really good snacks to evening classes. Sorry, no pork rinds.
5. I truly love studying with teens and have enjoyed teaching robust classes back in San Francisco. Your participation will save me from loneliness!
4. College admissions directors really like receiving letters from students' clergy members. And I write really good college recommendation letters.
3. I look forward to finding a date to host the confirmation class at my home - and my wife is a great cook.
2. We fully understand your level of stress and commitment and so will welcome you whenever you can come. 100% attendance might get you sealed in the book of life, but is not mandated.
1. If you are on the fence, I am offering the first month of class without any commitment. Attend without registering or paying a dime and then make your decision. I am confident that you will want to stick around!
That being said, feel free to register if you are already sold.
Finally, should you have any questions or comments; I invite you to contact me at [email protected].
I am happy to exchange emails or set up a time to meet over the phone or in person at your convenience.
Looking forward to a great year,
Rabbi Jonathan Jaffe